A native of Norfolk, Virginia, Don Carey graduated from Booker T. Washington High School and Norfolk State University (NSU), before becoming the first NSU football player drafted into the NFL in the Division I era. Over his 10 year professional playing career, Carey received numerous awards for accomplishments both on the field and in the community. Among these was the Walter Payton Man of the Year Award, presented by the Detroit Lions.
Following his retirement from the NFL, Carey founded The Don Carey REECH Foundation, Inc., which uses sports as a catalyst to connect with and educate students about careers in the Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) fields. Carey speaks at many schools of every level, challenging, teaching, and inspiring the next generation of leaders around the country.
A published author, Carey's first book, "It's Not Because I'm Better Than You," shares his personal story and the principles he and others have used to achieve success. The book, released in 2017, has been met with extremely positive reviews.
In 2018 Carey received Norfolk State University's Graduate of the Last Decade award and, in 2019, was inducted into the NSU Athletic Hall of Fame. He continues to serve the community of Chesapeake, sitting on various boards and participating in several organizations that spearhead positive change across the city.
Carey was elected to Chesapeake City Council for a four-year term commencing July 1, 2020
- Bachelors of Science from Norfolk State University, 2010
- The Don Carey REECH Foundation, INC. - Founder and Board Chair, 2017 to Present
- Food Bank of Southeastern Virginia and the Eastern Shore - Board Member, 2019 to Current
- New Chesapeake Men for Progress - President, 2019 to Current
- Cornland School Foundation - Board Member, 2019 to Current
- Toyota Charity Bowl - Board Member, 2019 to Current
- Chesapeake Rotary Club - Member, 2018 to Current
- Southeast Virginia Community Foundation - Board Member, 2018 to Current
Term expires: December 31, 2024