Traveling to a far, exotic place? Don’t forget your passport! In this News Flash, you will learn how to schedule a future appointment, what you should bring to an appointment, useful tips for taking a passport photo, and alternative passport processing locations.
Who processes passports at City Hall? Do you need an appointment (the answer is yes!)?
The City Clerk oversees Passport Services. Applications are processed on the first floor of Chesapeake City Hall near the Council Chambers. This service is offered by appointment only. Citizens are asked to call the City Clerk’s office at 757-382-6151 or visit the Passport Services page for more information.
What will you bring to the appointment? What is the overall process?
To obtain a passport, you must bring:
- A filled-out DS-11 application. This form can be found on the U.S. Department of State website as a fillable PDF. Printed applications are also available in City Hall near the Passport Services window.
- An original birth certificate. This document serves as required proof of United States citizenship. Passport Services will send your birth certificate and the rest of your application materials by mail to the processing location, then the original birth certificate will be mailed back to you.
- A 2x2 photo. Passport Services does not take photos. Citizens will want to get their photo taken at Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid, or another location where this service is available.
- Photos must be printed on photo quality paper, either matte or glossy.
- The photo must be taken with a plain white background and head-on (no side profile photos or blurriness).
- If you are wearing your hair long, tuck your hair behind the ears so every facial feature can be seen.
- Keep facial expressions neutral with both eyes open. No squinting or unusual expressions.
- Do not smile.
- Do not wear your glasses, sunglasses, or a hat.
- Your head should be between 50% and 69% of the image's total height from the top of the head, including the hair, to the bottom of the chin.
- You must be the only person in the photo. This goes for infants and children, also. Nothing used to support a child, including a person’s hands, can be in the camera’s frame.
- More frequently asked photo questions can be found on the U.S. Department of State FAQ page. You can also view photo examples.
- $130, payable to U.S. Department of State. Only checks or money orders will be accepted for this payment.
- $35 for the processing fee, payable to City of Chesapeake. This payment can be cash, card, check, or money order.
Note: Please do not sign passport applications prior to bringing them in for processing.
The passport appointment typically takes 15 minutes if a citizen has everything fully prepared. Processing typically takes 8 to 11 weeks. Call 757-382-6151 for more information.
Looking to renew your passport? Complete the steps found on the U.S. Department of State passport renewal page.
Other Local Passport Services Locations
Adventure awaits you. Safe travels!