- Located on Military Highway west of Bainbridge Boulevard
- Crosses the Southern Branch of the Elizabeth River
- Vertical lift, four-lane bridge operated by the City of Chesapeake
- Constructed in 2013; Opened to traffic in 2014
Daily Vehicle Traffic: 35,500
- 2022 Openings: 3724; 2022 Vessels Passed: 6173
Height (At Mean High Tide): 35 feet
Weight Limits: Legal Load
The Gilmerton Bridge has a vehicle height restriction. Roadway vehicle height: 16'0
The all-new Gilmerton Bridge, open for marine traffic, opens on demand, except during restricted periods.
Rush Hour Restrictions: 6:30 to 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday (except Federal holidays), the bridge will open for commercial vessels with two-hour advance notice.
Gilmerton Bridge Project
The Gilmerton Bridge replacement project was managed by the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT). Work began in November 2009 and the bridge opened to traffic in the fall of 2013.