Social Media Comment Policy
The purpose of all City of Chesapeake social media pages is to provide information to the public. The City of Chesapeake encourages comments and sharing of information directly related to the topics in posts. In order to serve the public interests of decorum and order, the following types of comments will be removed from all of the City's social media pages:
- Off-topic from the associated post
- Comments or content that promote, foster, or perpetuate discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, genetics, status with regard to public assistance, national origin, physical or intellectual disability or sexual orientation
- Spam or advertisements; and links to other Pages or websites, except for other City of Chesapeake social media pages
- Promote illegal activity
- Promote or oppose a political candidate, political organization or ballot initiative
- Personal attacks against one or more named individuals
- Personal, medical, or financial information that would jeopardize the safety or privacy of any person
- Violent, obscene or profane comments or content
- Repeated identical comments
- Threaten any person or organization
- Information that may compromise the safety, security or proceedings of public systems or any criminal or civil investigations
To manage City staff resources (your tax dollars), comments and postings are periodically monitored during regular business hours. The City's social media pages are not monitored for Virginia Freedom of Information Act requests. Requests to inspect or copy public records under the Virginia Freedom of Information Act must be made to the appropriate FOIA Officer.
The comments expressed on the City of Chesapeake's social media pages do not reflect the opinions and position of the City of Chesapeake, Chesapeake City Council, or its officers and employees.
Please note that social media platforms may remove comments that violate those individual platforms' Community Standards or Terms of Service.
If you have questions or concerns, please email us.