The City of Chesapeake Parks, Recreation and Tourism has been serving the citizens of Chesapeake with special needs for over 30 years! Our certified staff is dedicated to maintaining an atmosphere that empowers participants to enjoy life and reach their goals every day.
Recreational therapists work with clients to restore motor, social and cognitive functioning, build confidence, develop coping skills, and integrate skills learned in treatment settings into community settings. Intervention areas vary widely and are based upon client interests. Examples of intervention modalities include creative arts (e.g., crafts, music, dance, drama, among others), sports, adventure programming, dance/movement, and leisure education.
Steps to Participation
Prerequisites typically include: ability to manage personal belongings with minimal assistance, ability to follow 1- to 2-step directions, ability to use the restroom with minimal assistance, and a desire to participate. If additional assistance is needed, please let us know ahead of time so we can accommodate their needs. If the participant has a personal aide, they are encouraged to stay and assist and actively participate.
Follow these steps:
- Fill out a Participant Information Packet (PDF).
- Undergo an assessment with a Therapeutic Recreation (TR) Staff Member. Call 757-382-6411 to set up an appointment to finish the assessment process and bring the completed packet with you to the assessment meeting.
- Check out our activities and programs listings and then register!
Ways to Sign up for Programs
- In person at any Community Center
- Or by mail:
Chesapeake Therapeutic Recreation Programs
1224 Progressive Drive
Chesapeake VA, 23320
To complete the sign-up process or for more information, call the TR program at 757-382-6411.
- The 2024 Chesapeake Abilities Pageant is back and open for contestant applications! The pageant will be held on Sunday, January 14, 2024, 4:00 p.m., at the Chesapeake Conference Center and is limited to 16 contestants - 8 male and 8 female. Applications are due by October 20, 2023. See flyer and application for more information.
- 2023 Fall Festival - A free community event that offers a safe place and a family-friendly environment for children under 18 with special needs and their families. Saturday, October 21 from 1-4 p.m. at the Dr. Clarence V. Cuffee Community Center. See flyer for more information.
Volunteer & Instructor Opportunities Are Available!
Whether it's once a month or once a week, you can make a difference.
Please call 757-382-6411 for more information.
"Special Olympics is a year-round international program of sports training and athletic competition for children and adults with intellectual disabilities. Special Olympics Virginia is the state program of Special Olympics Incorporated."
- Quote taken from the Special Olympics Virginia website