- Departments H to Z
- Planning Department
- Land Development
- Use Permit Application for an Excavation / Borrow Pit
Use Permit Application for an Excavation / Borrow Pit
What Is a Conditional Use Permit for an Excavation / Borrow Pit?
Section 26-241 of the Chesapeake City Code states that no person shall excavate a borrow pit within the City without first having obtained a Conditional Use Permit from City Council. Certain land uses, such as excavations/borrow pits, require intensive review to determine whether they are appropriate in specified situations and whether special conditions would make the land use sufficiently compatible with the immediate area to warrant the granting of a use permit for the proposed use.
- The application deadline is 5 p.m. the 4th Monday of the month. Check the Planning Commission Public Hearing Schedule (PDF) for specific dates.
- Please read the Public Hearing Application Review Instructions (PDF) prior to submitting an application.
- Deliver all Original Notarized Documents listed under Application Submittal to the Planning Department by 5 p.m. on the filing deadline date. Failure to submit a complete application by the filing date will result in the application being deemed incomplete.
- Current conditional use permit applications can be found on the Planning Commission Meeting Agenda & Videos webpage.
Please click on each of the tabs below to view additional information.
Use the eBuild Application Assistant to find information needed for applications.
Submit the following documents and information in eBUILD for a complete application:
- Street Address of the Property or (Tax) Parcel Number
- Preliminary Site Plan (PDF) of the proposed development, drawn to scale, ready to upload as a PDF
- Electronic Environmental Site Assessment, Phase I, if required by the Zoning Ordinance, $1600 supplemental review fee will apply
- Topographical Map
- Hydrology Study
- End Use Plan
- Title Report or Title Certification Letter
- Assumption of Legal Responsibility (PDF)
- Special Power of Attorney (PDF)*, Print, Sign, Notarize, and Scan, if applicable, ready to upload
- Statement of Ownership (PDF)*, Print, Sign, Notarize, and Scan, ready to upload. If an LLC/Corporation, an additional document on letterhead should list all members/officers, and be ready to upload
- Declaration document (PDF)*, signed, ready to upload
- Real Estate Tax Demonstration Form (PDF) call or email Treasurer's Office, a signed form can be emailed, ready to upload
- Acceptable Filing Fee (PDF) payment method readily available (credit cards or eCheck/linked bank account)
- Deliver Adjacent Property Owner List* (obtained from the Real Estate Department Property Information website) to the Planning Department
*Documents must be uploaded and originals delivered to the Planning Department by the deadline
- Entity organization documents for all involved companies/entities need to be provided. These will be in the form of Articles of Organization or By-laws and must include documentation that authorizes the signers of the other required documents the authority to do so on behalf of the entity and a list of members/officers.
- Attend the mandatory Application Review Committee (ARC) Applicant Meeting on the 3rd Wednesday of the month, following the application being deemed complete.
- Please note that additional information or documents may be requested by staff during the course of the application review, e.g., Traffic Impact Analysis
- Deliver Envelopes to the Planning Department, 2nd floor of City Hall.
- Stamped Number 10 (4 ⅛ inches × 9½ inches) envelopes with the name and mailing address of each adjacent property owner printed legibly.
- Pay Sign Fee when invoiced and Post Sign(s)
- The Planning Department will supply these two Mondays prior to the Planning Commission Public Hearing, and must be posted by that Wednesday at 5:00 pm and photos emailed to email@example.com. You will receive a call for pick-up and will be required to pay when invoiced.
- Pay Advertising Fees when billed
- The average advertising cost is $100 for the Planning Commission Public Hearing and between $200 to $400 for the City Council meeting. The project will require a minimum of four advertisements. Any additional advertising costs incurred due to continuances or revised proffer statements will also be the responsibility of the applicant. Planning Commission advertisement fees will be billed by the City of Chesapeake. City Council advertisement fees will be billed by the City Clerk, City of Chesapeake invoice.
For additional conditional use permit questions, please contact the Planning Department at (757) 382-6176 or at firstname.lastname@example.org