- Departments H to Z
- Planning Department
- Land Development
- Special Exception
What Is a Special Exception?
A special exception may be granted by the Planning Commission for the relief of specific Zoning Ordinance requirements only under special circumstances. The Chesapeake Zoning Ordinance specifies when a property owner can apply for a special exception. Consideration for a special exception can be processed as part of a required preliminary site plan or subdivision plan review or as a separate request.
- The application deadline is 5 p.m. on the 4th Monday of the month. Check the Planning Commission Public Hearing Schedule (PDF) for specific dates.
- Please read the Public Hearing Application Review Instructions (PDF) prior to submitting an application.
- Deliver all Original Notarized Documents listed under Application Submittal to the Planning Department by 5 p.m. on the filing deadline date. Failure to submit a complete application by the filing date will result in the application being deemed incomplete.
Please click on each of the tabs below to view additional information.
Use the eBUILD Application Assistant to find information needed for applications.
Submit the following documents and information in eBUILD for a complete application:
- Street Address of the Property or (Tax) Parcel Number
- Preliminary Site Plan of the proposed development, drawn to scale, ready to upload as a PDF
- Electronic Environmental Site Assessment, Phase I, if required by the Zoning Ordinance, $1600 supplemental review fee will apply
- Special Power of Attorney (PDF)*, Print, Sign, Notarize, and Scan, if applicable, ready to upload
- Statement of Ownership (PDF)*, Print, Sign, Notarize, and Scan, ready to upload. If an LLC/Corporation, an additional document on letterhead should list all members/officers, and be ready to upload
- Declaration document*, signed, ready to upload
- Real Estate Tax Demonstration Form call or email Treasurer's Office, a signed form can be emailed, ready to upload
- Acceptable Filing Fee (PDF) payment method readily available (credit cards or eCheck/linked bank account)
- Deliver Adjacent Property Owner List* (obtained from the Real Estate Department Property Information website) to the Planning Department
*Documents must be uploaded and originals delivered to the Planning Department by the deadline
- If applicable, submit architectural renderings/elevations for review
- Entity organization documents for all involved companies/entities need to be provided. These will be in the form of Articles of Organization or By-laws and must include documentation that authorizes the signers of the other required documents the authority to do so on behalf of the entity and a list of members/officers.
- Attend the mandatory Application Review Committee (ARC) Applicant Meeting on the 3rd Wednesday of the month, following the application being deemed complete.
- Please note that additional information or documents may be requested by staff during the course of the application review, e.g., Traffic Impact Analysis
- Deliver Envelopes to the Planning Department, 2nd floor of City Hall.
- Stamped Number 10 (4 ⅛ inches × 9½ inches) envelopes with the name and mailing address of each adjacent property owner printed legibly.
- Pay Sign Fee when invoiced and Post Sign(s)
- The Planning Department will supply these two Mondays prior to the Planning Commission Public Hearing, and must be posted by that Wednesday at 5:00 p.m. and photos emailed to email@example.com. You will receive a call for pick-up and will be required to pay when invoiced.
- Pay Advertising Fees when billed
- The average advertising cost is $100 for the Planning Commission Public Hearing and between $200 to $400 for the City Council meeting. The project will require a minimum of four advertisements. Any additional advertising costs incurred due to continuances or revised proffer statements will also be the responsibility of the applicant. Planning Commission advertisement fees will be billed by the City of Chesapeake. City Council advertisement fees will be billed by the City Clerk, City of Chesapeake invoice.
For additional questions about special exception applications, please contact the Planning Department at 757-382-6176 or at firstname.lastname@example.org