- Departments H to Z
- Planning Department
- Land Development
- Rezoning (Change of Zoning District)
Rezoning (Change of Zoning District)
A rezoning is required when a property owner proposes to use his land for purposes other than those permitted by the current zoning classification. The zoning process protects property owners by requiring that related uses of land are located in close proximity to each other in order to create a well-developed and harmonious community in compliance with the City's Comprehensive Plan.
- Application Deadline 5 p.m. the 4th Monday of the month. Check the Planning Commission Public Hearing Schedule (PDF) for specific dates.
- Please read the Public Hearing Application Review Instructions (PDF) prior to submitting an application.
- Deliver all Original Notarized Documents listed under Application Submittal to the Planning Department by 5 p.m. on the filing deadline date. Failure to submit a complete application by the filing deadline will result in the application being deemed incomplete.
- Current rezoning applications can be found on the Planning Commission Meeting Agenda & Videos webpage
Please click on each of the tabs below to view additional information.
Use the eBUILD Application Assistant to find information needed for applications.
Submit the following documents and information in eBUILD for a complete application:
- Street Address of the Property or (Tax) Parcel Number
- General Development Plan of the proposed development, drawn to scale, ready to upload as a PDF
- Electronic Environmental Site Assessment, Phase I, if required by the Zoning Ordinance, $1600 supplemental review fee will apply
- Special Power of Attorney (PDF)*, Print, Sign, Notarize, and Scan, if applicable, ready to upload
- Statement of Ownership (PDF)*, Print, Sign, Notarize, and Scan, ready to upload. If an LLC/Corporation, an additional document on letterhead should list all members/officers, and be ready to upload
- Declaration document*, signed, ready to upload
- Real Estate Tax Demonstration Form call or email Treasurer's Office, a signed form can be emailed, ready to upload
- Title Report, no more than 6 months old, ready for upload
- Residential Rezoning Certificate (PDF)* form with original signatures must be submitted to the Planning Department for an application to be considered complete for processing. More information on the new residential rezoning proffer legislation can be found in Development Advisory Number 32.
- Acceptable Filing Fee (PDF) payment method readily available (credit cards or eCheck/linked bank account)
- Deliver Adjacent Property Owner List* (obtained from the Real Estate Department Property Information website) to the Planning Department
*Must be uploaded and originals delivered to the Planning Department by the deadline
- If applicable, submit architectural renderings/elevations for review
- Entity organization documents for all involved companies/entities need to be provided. These will be in the form of Articles of Organization or By-laws and must include documentation that authorizes the signers of the other required documents the authority to do so on behalf of the entity and a list of members/officers.
- Attend the mandatory Application Review Committee (ARC) Applicant Meeting on the 3rd Wednesday of the month, following the application being deemed complete.
- Please note that additional information or documents may be requested by staff during the course of the application review, e.g., Traffic Impact Analysis
- Proffer Statement (DOCX)
- It is recommended that applicants prior to submitting proffers (for review by staff) fully execute the Voluntary Declaration and Election for a Residential Rezoning Application (DOCX) under Virginia Code Section 15.22303.4(D). This document should be uploaded to eBUILD and the original document delivered to the Planning Department. It must be fully executed by the applicant and all owners.
- Agreement to Terms Proffer Statements (in Word format) must be submitted to the Planning Department by 5 p.m. the Wednesday following the monthly Planning Commission hearing for review and approval by City Staff. Proffer Agreement to Terms must be reached before a rezoning application can be verified for acknowledgment by City Council.
- Following Agreement to Terms, Preliminary Proffer Statements on the approved form are to be executed with all pages being initialed and dated and all signatures notarized and submitted to the Planning Department no later than 5 p.m. the Wednesday following the monthly Planning Commission hearing. Failure to submit the required fully executed document may delay advertising the rezoning application.
- Fully executed Proffer Statements are due by 5 p.m. the Wednesday following the monthly Planning Commission hearing for review and approval by City staff. It must be fully executed by the applicant and all owners with all pages being initialed and dated and all signatures notarized. Failure to submit the fully executed document may delay the application for City Council Hearing.
- Deliver Envelopes to the Planning Department, 2nd floor of City Hall.
- Stamped Number 10 (4 ⅛ inches × 9½ inches) envelopes with the name and mailing address of each adjacent property owner printed legibly.
- Pay Sign Fee when invoiced and Post Sign(s)
- The Planning Department will supply these two Mondays prior to the Planning Commission Public Hearing, and must be posted by that Wednesday at 5 p.m. and photos emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will receive a call for pick-up and will be required to pay when invoiced.
- Pay Advertising Fees when billed
- The average advertising cost is $100 for the Planning Commission Public Hearing and between $200 to $400 for the City Council meeting. The project will require a minimum of four advertisements. Any additional advertising costs incurred due to continuances or revised proffer statements will also be the responsibility of the applicant. Planning Commission advertisement fees will be billed by the City of Chesapeake. City Council advertisement fees will be billed by the City Clerk, City of Chesapeake invoice.
For additional rezoning questions, please contact the Planning Department at 757-382-6176 or at email@example.com