Conditional Use Permit for Communication Tower
A conditional use permit is required for certain land uses listed in the Chesapeake Zoning Ordinance as a "conditional use," requiring special review on a case-by-case basis to determine whether they are appropriate in specified situations.
The Small Cells Ordinance (PDF) updated and adopted by City Council on December 19, 2019, added definitions and requirements regarding micro-wireless facilities/small cells.
- The application deadline is 5 p.m. the 4th Monday of the month. Check the Planning Commission Public Hearing Schedule (PDF) for specific dates.
- Please read the Public Hearing Application Review Instructions (PDF) prior to submitting an application.
- Deliver all Original Notarized Documents listed under Application Submittal to the Planning Department by 5 p.m. on the filing deadline date. Failure to submit a complete application by the filing date will result in the application being deemed incomplete.
- Current conditional use permit applications can be found on the Planning Commission Meeting Agenda & Videos webpage.
Please click on each of the tabs below to view additional information.
Use the eBuild Application Assistant to find information needed for applications.
Submit the following documents and information in eBUILD for a complete application:
- Street Address of the Property or (Tax) Parcel Number
- Preliminary Site Plan of the proposed development, drawn to scale, ready to upload as a PDF
- Electronic Environmental Site Assessment, Phase I, if required by the Zoning Ordinance, $1600 supplemental review fee will apply
- Special Power of Attorney (PDF)*, Print, Sign, Notarize, and Scan, if applicable, ready to upload
- Statement of Ownership (PDF)*, Print, Sign, Notarize, and Scan, ready to upload. If an LLC/Corporation, an additional document on letterhead should list all members/officers, and be ready to upload
- Declaration document*, signed, ready to upload
- Real Estate Tax Demonstration Form call or email Treasurer's Office, a signed form can be emailed, ready to upload
- Acceptable Filing Fee (PDF) payment method readily available (credit cards or eCheck/linked bank account)
- Deliver Adjacent Property Owner List* (obtained from the Real Estate Department Property Information website) to the Planning Department
*Documents must be uploaded and originals delivered to the Planning Department by the deadline
- If applicable, submit architectural renderings/elevations for review
- Entity organization documents for all involved companies/entities need to be provided. These will be in the form of Articles of Organization or By-laws and must include documentation that authorizes the signers of the other required documents the authority to do so on behalf of the entity and a list of members/officers.
- Attend the mandatory Application Review Committee (ARC) Applicant Meeting on the 3rd Wednesday of the month, following the application being deemed complete.
- Please note that additional information or documents may be requested by staff during the course of the application review.
- Deliver Envelopes to the Planning Department, 2nd floor of City Hall.
- Stamped Number 10 (4 ⅛ inches × 9½ inches) envelopes with the name and mailing address of each adjacent property owner printed legibly.
- Pay Sign Fee when invoiced and Post Sign(s)
- The Planning Department will supply these prior to sign posting deadline. The sign posting deadline is not less than fourteen (14) days prior to the date of the first scheduled public hearing before the Planning Commission. Photos of the posted sign(s) should be emailed to email@example.com. You will receive an email for pick-up and will be required to pay when invoiced.
- Public Hearing Sign Release Form
- Public Hearing Sign Posting Instructions
- Pay Advertising Fees when billed
- The project will require a minimum of four advertisements for the Planning Commission and for the City Council Meeting. Any additional advertising costs incurred due to continuances or revised proffer statements will also be the responsibility of the applicant. Planning Commission advertisement fees will be billed by the City of Chesapeake. City Council advertisement fees will be billed by the City Clerk, City of Chesapeake invoice.