Conditional Use Permit
What is a Conditional Use Permit?
A conditional use permit is required for certain land uses listed in the Chesapeake Zoning Ordinance as a "conditional use," requiring special review on a case-by-case basis to determine whether they are appropriate in specified situations. For example, child day care, home occupation, solar farms, and late night alcohol sales at restaurants.
- The application deadline is 5 p.m. the 4th Monday of the month. Check the Planning Commission Public Hearing Schedule (PDF) for specific dates.
- Please read the Public Hearing Application Review Instructions (PDF) prior to submitting an application.
- Deliver all Original Notarized Documents listed under Application Submittal to the Planning Department by 5 p.m. on the filing deadline date. Failure to submit a complete application by the filing date will result in the application being deemed incomplete.
- Current conditional use permit applications can be found on the Planning Commission Meeting Agenda & Videos webpage.
Please click on each of the tabs below to view additional information.
Use the eBUILD Application Assistant to find information needed for applications.
Submit the following documents and information in eBUILD for a complete application:
- Street Address of the Property or (Tax) Parcel Number
- Preliminary Site Plan of the proposed development, drawn to scale, ready to upload as a PDF
- Electronic Environmental Site Assessment, Phase I, if required by the Zoning Ordinance, $1600 supplemental review fee will apply
- Special Power of Attorney (PDF)*, Print, Sign, Notarize, and Scan, if applicable, ready to upload
- Statement of Ownership (PDF)*, Print, Sign, Notarize, and Scan, ready to upload. If an LLC/Corporation, an additional document on letterhead should list all members/officers, and be ready to upload
- Declaration document*, signed, ready to upload
- Real Estate Tax Demonstration Form call or email Treasurer's Office, a signed form can be emailed, ready to upload
- Acceptable Filing Fee (PDF) payment method readily available (credit cards or eCheck/linked bank account)
- Deliver Adjacent Property Owner List* (obtained from the Real Estate Department Property Information website) to the Planning Department
*Documents must be uploaded and originals delivered to the Planning Department by the deadline
- If applicable, submit architectural renderings/elevations for review
- Attend the mandatory Application Review Committee (ARC) Applicant Meeting on the 3rd Wednesday of the month, following the application being deemed complete.
- Please note that additional information or documents may be requested by staff during the course of the application review, e.g., Traffic Impact Analysis