The Chesapeake Arboretum trail system, color-blazed and wood-chip mulched throughout, encompasses approximately 45 acres and is some 3.5 miles (5.6 kilometers) in total length. It is maintained largely in part by volunteers.
Download a copy of the Arboretum Trail Map (PNG)!
Trail Blaze Colors
- White blazes: Central Loop
- Yellow blazes: North Loop (Urban Forestry Trail)
- Orange blazes: South Loop
- Blue blazes: Lake Hughes side trail
- Red blazes: Native Tree Trail
- Green blazes: Camellia Cove side trail
- Purple blazes: Trail Entrances and Connectors
A perennial stream (named "Starr Run" in recognition of the infrastructure contributions of Jack Starr) meanders throughout the trail system and is crossed by a total of 11 wooden bridges. Towards the southern end of the trail system is our Tree Propagation Nursery and Utility Line Experimental Arboretum.