Plan Review Level 3
This level requires plans to be designed by and submitted with an architectural / engineer seal and signature per State Code. The design professional must be licensed by the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Attachment C is a list of when the architectural/engineer seal is required. Refer to Items required to be submitted for Building Permit.
Items Required to Be Submitted for a Building Permit - Level 3
- A key plan (PDF) that details the footprint of the building and the location of the tenant space (available from the owner or landlord)
- A building permit application (PDF) form
- An asbestos report completed by a company licensed in the Commonwealth of Virginia (Applicable to all buildings or tenant spaces built before January 1, 1985)
- Fresh air calculations as required in the International Mechanical Code
- One set of plans drawn to scale with the following information on the plans:
- The name of the project
- The address of the project and the suite number
- The name, address, phone number and occupation of the plan designer (person who can prepare the drawings include the owner, a contractor, or a professional designer.)
- The current and proposed use group classification
- The construction type classification of the building and tenant space
- The square footage area of the tenant space
- The maximum design occupant load of the tenant space
- Specify if the building is protected with fire sprinklers or a fire alarm system.
- A dimensioned floor plan showing the perimeter measurements and all areas within (Detail B-1 (PDF))
- The location of the exit lights and the emergency lights (Detail B-1 (PDF))
- A full wall detail (Detail B-2 (PDF) or Detail B-3 (PDF))
- A list of all fire-rated assemblies with full details
- All accessibility details required by the accessibility code
- Examples: lever handles, ramps, toilet rooms, water fountains, door sizes (Detail B-4 (PDF) and Detail B-5 (PDF))
- The location of the toilet facilities, water fountain and the service sink (Detail B-1 (PDF))
- Plumbing, mechanical, gas, electrical or fire protection plans as necessary.
The items above are a general list of requirements. Other details or information may be required once the plan review has been completed for the tenant space to be in compliance with the codes.
- Building Permit Pre-Application (PDF)
- Electrical Permit Application (PDF)
- Electrical Permit Instructions - New Procedures (PDF)
- Fire Protection or Hazardous Materials System Permit Application (PDF)
- Fire Protection Permit Application (PDF)
- Mechanical-Gas Permit Application (PDF)
- Plumbing Permit (PDF)