Information Related to Battlefield Golf Club
This webpage is for residents concerned about the Battlefield Golf Club on Centerville Turnpike. Here you will find related documents requested by the City from businesses and agencies involved with the development of the course. New information will be added as we receive it.
- Answers to citizen questions from the March 16th, 2011 community meeting
- Hydrogeologic Investigation and Groundwater Modeling Report (March 2011) (PDF)
For ease of use, the above document has been broken into smaller sections.
- October 19, 2011 Community Meeting Notice (PDF)
- Letter to Residents - Notification of Additional Funds to Offset Some of the Cost of Connecting to City Water (PDF)
- Letter to Affected Residents on Whittamore Road Announcing Completion of the Whittamore Road Portion (PDF)
- Letter to Affected Residents on Centerville Turnpike and Fentress Road Announcing Completion of the Centerville Turnpike Portion (PDF)
- Newsletter to the Community From EPA with Information About Open Houses Planned for May 2010 (PDF)
- Newsletter Mailed to Residents September 8, 2009 (PDF)
- Newsletter Mailed to Residents on April 22, 2008 (PDF)
- URS Battlefield Golf Club Water Project Water Supply Feasibility Study - Summary of Findings and Recommendations (PDF)
- Newsletter Mailed to Residents September 19, 2008 (PDF)
- Letter to Residents Mailed September 5, 2008 (PDF)
- Newsletter Mailed to Residents August 14, 2008 (PDF)
- Newsletter Mailed to Residents on July 25, 2008 (PDF)
- Flyer for Community Meeting July 17, 2008 (PDF)
- Newsletter Mailed to Residents on May 16, 2008 (PDF)
- Map of Greenhaven Drainage Improvement Project (PDF)
- Newsletter Mailed to Residents on May 9, 2008 (PDF)
- URS Letter to Citizens April 22, 2009 (PDF)
- About Your Well Testing (PDF)
- Results of Well Tests From 2001-2002, Includes 43 Tests From Wells near Golf Course (PDF)
- See if Your Well Was Tested (PDF)
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) accepted comments on proposed fly ash regulations until November 19, 2010. More information is available online.
The Subcommittee on Energy and Environment hearing entitled "Drinking Water and Public Health Impacts of Coal Combustion Waste Disposal" held on Thursday, December 10, 2009, in Washington, DC. This hearing will examine the safe drinking water and health impacts associated with current practices for the disposal of coal fly ash.
Public Comment Opportunity (PDF): Draft permit for the Chesapeake Energy Center Industrial Landfill. This permit modifies the permit and corrective action plan which allows continued operation of the industrial landfill located off Military Highway along the Southern Branch of the Elizabeth River in Chesapeake, Virginia. This facility serves as an industrial landfill for the disposal of coal ash.
Agency: Department of Environmental Quality
Board: Virginia Waste Management Board
According to DEQ, "the Department has established this Committee to review the Coal Combustion Byproducts Regulation, 9 VAC 20-85. Specifically, the Committee will review and make recommendations on the entire regulation including locational restrictions, design and construction requirements, operations, closure, testing of the product prior to placement, a public notice component and other topics that may be brought up during the public comment period. The Department expects that a rulemaking will be initiated to amend the regulation and this Committee will be used to assist in the development of a proposal for the Virginia Waste Management Board's consideration."
- Groundwater Monitoring Data
- 2010 Annual Groundwater Monitoring Report, prepared on behalf of Dominion Power (PDF) and submitted to the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality - posted May 2011
- Hydrogeologic Investigation and Groundwater Modeling Report - March 2011
- Post-Construction Ash Fill, Soil Cover and Groundwater Evaluation Report. Prepared December 17, 2009, for Dominion Generation by MACTEC Engineering and Consulting, Inc.
- Test Results for Surface Water and Ground Water - September 2008
- Request for Appendix D From the Original 2001 URS Report Ash Stabilization, Groundwater Modeling and Risk Evaluation (PDF)
- Letter From the City of Chesapeake to Hudson Insurance Dated June 27, 2008, Sent in Response to Denial of Claims (PDF)
- EPA Letter Regarding Battlefield Golf Course (PDF)
- Battlefield Golf Club July 2008 Site Preliminary Test Results Summary (PDF)
- Agreement between MJM Golf, LLC and the City of Chesapeake, Made May 22, 2008 (PDF)
- Letter Sent by the City to MJM Golf Giving Notice of Claim for Each Potable Well (PDF)
The City of Chesapeake has expertise in operating a municipal water system and ensuring that the public water supply meets all safe drinking water specifications. However, the City does not regulate private wells and therefore, is not an expert on the issue of groundwater quality. The City encourages you to consult the websites of the Environmental Protection Agency, the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality and the Virginia Department of Health for information regarding water quality and fly ash.
- EPA Region III Pollution Report dated January 14, 2010
- EPA Region III Pollution Report dated July 6, 2009
- EPA Region III Pollution Report dated July 1, 2009
- EPA Website on Battlefield Golf Club Fly Ash Assessment
- Environmental Protection Agency - drinking water information
- Environmental Protection Agency - private well information
- Environmental Protection Agency - National Contingency Plan - The National Oil and Hazardous Substances Pollution Contingency Plan, more commonly called the National Contingency Plan or NCP, is the federal government's blueprint for responding to both oil spills and hazardous substance releases.
- Virginia Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ)
- Virginia Department of Health
- Information about Aquifers
- Email Nancy Welch, Chesapeake Health Department
- March 30, 2009 Draft Site Inspection Report for the Battlefield Golf Site (PDF) - Was intended to provide preliminary information to EPA and was not intended for public release. Because it has been released to the media, the City has posted it here so that you can read it in its entirety.
- ENCO Lab Sheets and Slug Test Well Data (PDF) - For ease of use, this document has been broken into smaller sections:
- City of Chesapeake Comments to the Draft Site Inspection Report Prepared by Tetra Tech EM Inc. for Battlefield Golf Course (PDF)
- Documents received from Dominion: Environmental hydrogeological studies done at the golf course site by URS in September 2001 and December 2001 and Environmental study done by GIAO at the golf course site in 2003. For ease of use, this document has been broken into smaller sections:
- EPA Validation Report - Posted February 24, 2009. For ease of use, this document has been broken into smaller sections:
- Documents requested and received from MJM Golf, current owner of Battlefield Golf Club - For ease of use, this document has been broken into smaller sections:
- Documents requested and received from the Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) (PDF)
- Documents requested and received from the Virginia State Health Department (PDF)
- Documents requested and received from Hassell and Folks (PDF)
Planning Commission Meeting, May 9, 2001:
City Council Meeting, June 20, 2001:
City Council Meeting, September 23, 2008:
- Request for emergency appropriation of $6,000,000 from Dominion Power for design services and construction for water for neighborhoods in the vicinity of the Battlefield Golf Club (PDF)
- Resolution asking the Planning Commission to consider changes to the City's Comprehensive Plan to expand the area that receives water (PDF)
- Resolution requesting that the City Manager be authorized to allow Battlefield Golf Club to continue operating under the agreement with MJM Golf that went into effect in May 2008 (PDF)
- UP-01-03 Documents 1,532 to 1,880 (PDF) - For ease of use, this document has been broken into smaller sections:
- UP-01-03 Documents 1881 to 1883 - For ease of use, this document has been broken into smaller sections:
- UP-01-03 Documents 1884 - 1896 - For ease of use, this document has been broken into smaller sections:
- Public Works Documents 1,897 to 2,055 (PDF)
- Etheridge Greens Documents 2,056 to 2,418 (PDF) - For ease of use, this document has been broken into smaller sections: