Assistance for Families & Individuals
The City of Chesapeake offers the following services for eligible individuals and families in need:
- SNAP (Food Stamps)
- Enables qualified recipients to buy food at their local grocery store.
- Phone: 757-615-5664
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Provides temporary financial assistance to cover basic needs of eligible families with children.
- Phone: 757-418-3073
- Medicaid/FAMIS (Health/Medical)
- Pays for health and medical care for certain groups of people who have low income.
- Phone: 757-418-2282
- Child Care
- Helps eligible families with the cost of child care so they can work or attend education programs
- Phone: 757-382-2104
- Emergency Services: Rental/Utility Assistance
- Provides rental as well as utilities (power, gas, water) assistance.
- Phone: 757-382-2072
Public Utilities (Water & Sewer)
The Chesapeake Public Utilities Department provides the following services, upon request and with validation of circumstance:
- A 30-day extension for bill payment
- A payment arrangement if the customer is unable to pay the full balance when due and
- A 30-day payment extension for past-due customers (This will reset the due date for collections)
Public Utilities Customer Service: 757-382-6352
Chesapeake Resource Guide
The Chesapeake Resource Guide provides contact information for organizations and entities offering help to Chesapeake residents.
Chesapeake Public Schools
Families impacted by the government shutdown can apply for free/reduced meal benefits. The schools also has job opportunities for furloughed workers. Learn more.
Chesapeake Public Library
Services provided by Chesapeake's libraries include the following:
- Meeting Spaces - Chesapeake Public Library has seven locations, each equipped to host meetings and study sessions. Book a room online by visiting the Chesapeake Library website. Call 757-410-7100 for more information.
- Classes and Events - Chesapeake Public Library provides a range of free classes and events to the public. To learn more or reserve a spot at an upcoming event visit the Chesapeake Library website. Call 757-410-7100 for more information.
- Training and Online Classes through Universal Class - Universal Class provides a self-paced learning environment with real instructors. Students receive Continuing Education Units at the completion of each class.
- Career Transitions - Career Transitions is a job help hub with tips and tricks to help job seekers discover the latest job search trends, new opportunities, and assess career interests.
- hoopla - The digital media service hoopla allows library members to borrow movies, music, audiobooks, ebooks, comics and TV shows to use on your computer, tablet, phone, or TV. Titles can be streamed immediately or downloaded to phones or tablets for offline enjoyment later.
- Overdrive - The OverDrive digital collection allows Chesapeake Public Library to extend beyond physical walls and offer anytime, anywhere access to eBooks and audiobooks.
- Visit your library for more resources and assistance. Each of the Library's seven locations has a computer lab, Wi-Fi, fax, scanning, and notary for the public. Bring the little ones to explore the Chesapeake Public Library's early literacy play and learn centers.
- Office of Personnel Management - Furlough Guidance for Federal Workers
- Virginia Employment Commission - local connection for unemployment compensation
Stay up-to-date with our local representatives: