- Chesapeake City Council meets on the second, third, and fourth Tuesdays of each month at 6:30 p.m.
- Meetings are held in the Council Chamber, located on the first floor of City Hall.
- Special meetings are held at the request of the Mayor or any three members of the Council.
Agendas & Minutes
- Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
- Agendas for all Council meetings are available online or in the City Clerk's Office, located on the sixth floor of City Hall, as well as the Central Library and all branches, on the Friday preceding a Council meeting.
- Minutes and/or marked agendas for previous meetings are also available online.
Please note that all written and electronic communications to City Council are subject to the Virginia Freedom of Information Act.
- Who is the Council Member for my area?
The Chesapeake City Council is comprised of eight Council Members and a Mayor elected at large.
- How do I contact the Council Members?
- What are the duties of the City Clerk?
The Office of the Municipal Clerk serves as the professional link between the citizens of Chesapeake and the City Council, the governing body. The City Clerk represents the affairs of the community by keeping records and maintaining archives for posterity and ensures that decisions of the legislative body are properly recorded.
The Office is responsible for the preservation of the official actions of the City's legislative body by recording and publishing Council minutes, ordinances, and resolutions. The Office also serves as a conduit of information by handling inquiries from citizens and other municipal departments, assisting the Council with correspondence, managing the appointments to the City's Boards, Commissions and Authorities, and handling research requests. The office is designated as a Passport Acceptance Facility by the U.S. Department of State. Further information on applying for a U.S. Passport
- How can I find out what the City Council will be discussing?
You may access the Current Agenda online for upcoming City Council meetings.
This information is posted on Friday prior to the Tuesday meetings. Free copies of the docket are also available from the City Clerk's Office.