Eligible Items for Drop-off
List of Eligible Items for Drop-off
Chesapeake Recycles Day events are a great resource to help you safely and properly dispose of recyclable goods and hazardous household waste, shred sensitive documents, and donate clothing and personal items. However, due to safety and capacity limitations, there are eligibility restrictions of the type and amount of items you can drop off. Please click each heading below to view a list of eligible items for drop off at Chesapeake Recycles Day events.
Southeastern Public Service Authority (SPSA) will collect the following items. Drop-off is limited to 5 gallons of liquid or 75 pounds of solid waste. Visit the SPSA website for a complete list of eligible items.
Cleaning & Home Products
- Cooking oil
- Drain cleaner
- Wood and metal cleaners and polishes
- Tub, tile, shower and toilet cleaners
- Pool chemicals
- Oven cleaners
Workshop & Paint Supplies
- Adhesives and glue
- Furniture stripper
- All paint, stains and finishes
- Paint thinners, strippers and removers
- Photography chemicals
- Household insecticides
- Ant and cockroach poisons
- Flea and moth repellants
- Mouse and rat poisons
Outdoor Lawn & Garden
- Herbicides, pesticides and insecticides
- Wood preservatives
- Driveway sealers
- Motor oil
- Fuel additives
- Carburetor and fuel injector cleaners
- Air conditioning refrigerants
- Starting, transmission and brake fluids
- Automotive batteries
- Rechargeable small sealed lead acid batteries
- Rechargeable nickel-cadmium (Ni-Cd), Ni-MH, and lithium-ion (Li-ion)
- Alkaline and zinc carbon batteries
Items Containing Mercury
- Mercury thermometers
- Compact fluorescents
- Propane tanks and cylinders
- Helium and Freon tanks
- Lighter fluid
- Aerosol cans
- Home heating oil
Goodwill will accept donations of gently used personal items, including:
- Flat-panel TVs
- No tube or cathode-ray tube (CRT) TVs - flat-panel TVs only!
- No TVs larger than 42-inch screens will be accepted!
- Stereo equipment
- Game systems
- CD and DVD players
- Circuit boards and components
- Shoes and accessories
- Small household electronics
- Kitchenware and home décor
Shred-It will collect sensitive personal documents for shredding at Chesapeake Recycles Day events. Shredding of sensitive personal documents is limited to 3 copy paper boxes or 3 paper grocery bags. Please see the following exclusions and limitations:
- Plastic bags and oversized boxes will not be accepted.
- Only sensitive personal documents will be accepted.
- No business or commercial documents will be accepted.
- No CDs, non-sensitive materials, magazines, books, notebooks, disks or other items will be accepted.
- No shredding will be performed on location. All materials are placed into a secured vehicle to be transported to Shred-It's site and shredded securely.