Rules of the Chesapeake Circuit Court (PDF), Rule 2: In accordance with the provisions of Virginia Code § 2.2-3300, enumerating the legal holidays observed in the Commonwealth of Virginia, the Court and the Clerk’s Office of the Circuit Court of the City of Chesapeake shall be closed on:
- January 1 – New Year’s Day;
- The third Monday in January – Martin Luther King, Jr. Day; The third Monday in February – George Washington Day; The last Monday in May – Memorial Day;
- June 18 – Juneteenth;
- July 4 – Independence Day;
- The first Monday in September – Labor Day
- The second Monday in October – Columbus Day and Yorktown Victory Day The Tuesday following the first Monday in November – Election Day November 11 – Veterans Day;
- The fourth Thursday in November and the Friday next following –
- Thanksgiving Day; and December 25 – Christmas Day;
or, whenever any of such days fall on Saturday, the Friday next preceding such day, or whenever any of such days fall on Sunday, the Monday next following such day; and any day so appointed by the Judicial Council of Virginia, the Governor of this Commonwealth, or the President of the United States, shall be a legal holiday as to the transaction of all business or until modified by further order of this Court.
As a holiday approaches, check the City of Chesapeake Home Page for additional details.
In the event of severe weather, information about court closings or delays can be obtained by checking the City of Chesapeake Home Page or watching Channels 3, 10, 13, and 48.
Continuances of Cases Due to Court Closure
Cases set to be heard on a day on which the Court and Clerk’s Office have been closed pursuant to Virginia Code § 17.1-207(A)(3) due to the determination that operation of the Court and Clerk’s Office, under prevailing conditions, would constitute a threat to the health and safety of personnel or the general public, will be continued as follows:
- Criminal trials, motions, probation violation hearings and sentencing hearings will be called at the next scheduled Criminal Docket Call; however, counsel may submit an agreed continuance order prior to docket call.
- Civil trials will be called at the Court’s next scheduled Civil Docket Contested divorce trials will be continued generally and may be rescheduled by contacting the Court’s Docket Administrator.
- Civil motions and uncontested divorce hearings will be continued generally and may be rescheduled in accordance with Local Rule 7.
- If the day of closure falls on a term day, all matters other than the regular grand jury will be continued to the next term day. The regular grand jury shall be held the next day the Court is open, and the grand jurors summoned to appear on term day shall appear at the next open Court day.